- Be human, nice, respectful and constructive.
- Don't be a pain in the ass and full of hate.
- Please use the english language.
- No Pseudoscience like Flat Earth theory, Antivaccine and so on.
- No porn, piracy, spam, hate speech, brigading, gore, doxing, racism and any kind of discrimination.
- Bots (including Twitter crossposting bots) must display the Bot tag on their profile, respect #nobots in bios (if following users), and make unlisted posts by default. Failure to do so will result in either being silenced or suspended.
On August 15, 2019, we made the decision to go invite-only. This decision may be temporary, or it may be permanent. We'll see how it goes.
Any existing user can create and send invitations! Visit https://social.privacytools.io/invites to create an invite link. We highly encourage users to invite people they know or people that may be interested in joining our community.
If you're looking to join social.privacytools.io and don't know any existing users, that's fine too! Send an email to email@example.com and maybe include a quick message about why you'd like to join this instance. We'd love to have you!
Why did this happen? Honestly, spam is one reason for sure. We want to cut down on the amount of automated registrations and we're hoping this helps. But another reason is just to keep this community small. Limiting registrations will help keep the quality of our conversations up. Not everything is about the user count!
Can I share invites publicly? Use your best judgement. If you want to send an invite to a group, forum, chat room, subreddit, etc. that's totally fine! We do ask that you either time-limit your invitation, or set a maximum number of uses for invitations you post publicly. There's options to do that on the invite creation page.
I don't want to wait for an invite. The beauty of Mastodon is federation: A user on one instance can interact with a user on another! There's many other great instances listed at joinmastodon.org, and you'll still be able to follow and message users on this instance, and any other instance!
Who to follow?
Here are some privacy related profiles accross the Mastodon Network.
The Tor Project
ThinkPrivacy.io (Dan Arel)
Electronic Frontier Foundation (Unofficial)
Yale Privacy Lab
More? Check out Trunk
allows you to mass-follow a bunch of people in order to get started with the Fediverse.